Tuesday, September 25, 2012

EMMY AND AFM TIME


IN THIS WEEK'S BLOG
DR. MEL'S WEEKLY MESSAGE
EMMY WINNER'S LIST
TRAILER FOR VARLA JEAN AND THE MUSHROOMHEADS
A.D.A.M. FILM PROJECT UPDATE
LOVE IS IN THE AIR
AMERICAN FILM MARKET PRESS RELEASE
DEAR DIARY BY ROBBY COOK STROUD


SEPTEMBER 27, 2012

MY WEEK'S MESSAGE
BY DR. MEL CAUDLE

Has anyone wondered but me where in the world has the time gone.  As I get older, time gets shorter.  It seems like it was yesterday that I wrote last week's blog.  Wow.

Exciting things happened in my production world.  First, new episodes of my comedy web-series 40 & Leroy came out.  That is always a lot of fun to watch.  If you have joined in on the fun, you need to.  But, take my advice and start at the beginning.  You won't forget it.

Also, all of San Francisco and Los Angeles were excited as they were able to see the Space Shuttle, Enterprise in flight.  I wish I could have seen it fly over the Hollywood sign as did one of our members who captured this amazing photograph.  Thank you Bill Murray for posting it for all of us to view.



I also made plans this week for Robby and I to attend the American Film Market 2012 in Santa Monica, CA in the first week of November.  YEA!!!  We hope to catch up with all of our KSK family while we are there.  And, speaking of AFM, I will be writing a three article series on the ins and outs of AFM, obtaining distribution while at AFM, and will do a special blog and podcast each day while at AFM.

If you have never attended AFM before and you are a film maker, director, producer, screenwriter, or actor, you need to do yourself a favor and attend.  It is the most incredible opportunity to network within the industry.  For producers it is a wonderful way to see what your competition is like and to meet up with potential distributors.  The same holds true for directors and screenwriters.  For actors, you can introduce yourself to producers and directors who have the potential of hiring you.  In fact, I met many actors there the last time I attended who I still stay in contact with and are now auditioning for KSK and ADAM.  I remembered them.  So, as an actor it is really important for you to be seen.  A word of advice, take plenty of business cards with you and never miss an opportunity to meet and greet.  The cost of the pass is well worth it as an investment in your career.  If you can't afford the entire cost of the pass, at least consider a day pass or possibly volunteering to work the show.

ALL ABOUT THE EMMY'S

Also this week the Emmy's on Sunday had me all excited watching the awards.  Most of my favorites won, but the only thing I didn't like was the fact I wasn't nominated.  I will be soon and so will many of you.  I can't wait to celebrate.  So, if you missed them, here is the list of the Emmy Winners for 2012.

We're posting winners as they're announced at the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards:
Drama Series: Homeland
Comedy Series: Modern Family
Miniseries or Movie: Game Change
Variety, Comedy or Musical Series: The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Reality-Competition Program: The Amazing Race
Host, Reality or Reality-Competition Program: Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars
Acting
Supporting Actor, Comedy: Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Supporting Actress, Comedy: Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Guest Actor, Comedy: Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actress, Comedy: Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men
Lead Actor, Comedy: Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Lead Actress, Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Supporting Actor, Drama: Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Supporting Actress, Drama: Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Guest Actress, Drama: Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife
Guest Actor, Drama: Jeremy Davies, Justified
Lead Actor, Drama: Damian Lewis, Homeland
Lead Actress, Drama: Claire Danes, Homeland
Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Tom Berenger, Hatfields & McCoys
Lead Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Julianne Moore, Game Change
Lead Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Directing
Directing, Comedy: Steve Levitan, Modern Family
Directing, Drama: Tim Van Patten, Boardwalk Empire
Directing, Variety Special: Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards
Directing, Miniseries or Movie: Jay Roach, Game Change
Writing
Writing, Comedy: Louis C.K., Louie
Writing, Drama: Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff, Homeland
Writing, Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Louis C.K., Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theatre
Writing, Miniseries or Movie: Danny Strong, Game Change


Congratulations to all of the Emmy nominees and winners.

VARLA JEAN AND THE MUSHROOMHEADS
BY DR. MEL CAUDLE

I received word this week that the film VARLA JEAN AND THE MUSHROOMHEADS that I was the associate producer for will be showing at the New Orleans Film Festival.  I am really excited about that.  I had so much fun working on this film that I can't even begin to describe it.  Take a look at the trailer.



A.D.A.M. INVITES STILL ARE BEING PROCESSED
by Dr. Mel Caudle

Don't give up yet as not all of the A.D.A.M. invitations have been sent out.  It takes time to process and go through 1,000 names and all of our binders.  However, we are getting close.  We have added a little different angle this time around at the request of several talent agents.  They want the opportunity to submit their clients.  So, as long as they follow our submission guidelines we have sent invites to select talent agents in Los Angeles, New Orleans, Atlanta, and New York.  We did limit the number of clients they could submit.  We asked them to limit the number of actors for each role to five.  The reason, because of the short time we need to cast, we don't have time to watch 5,000 auditions.  That is the single reason for the limitation and our invite only policy this time around.  Also, there are only about a dozen roles available.

I also want you all to know that the character Dr. Caudle, isn't me.  I just named the character after me.  I name characters after people all of the time and not once have I named one after me.  So, don't worry.

With that said, if you truly feel you fit our breakdowns listed below, contact your talent agent, and have them email us at adamproducer@gmail.com with your head shot.  If we feel you fit the role, we will then forward the sides.  If you don't have an agent, and you are a member of KSK and/or ADAM, we have already looked at your head shot and if we felt you fit a role, we either sent you an invitation or you will receive one as we are still going through some.  Jack Curenton, our casting director, will post a notification on the A.D.A.M. film page when all notifications have been sent.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK JACK IF YOU RECEIVED AN INVITATION OR SHOULD RECEIVED ONE.  HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.  TAKE IT TO THE BANK THAT IF YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE AN INVITE, IT MEANS YOU DID NOT FIT THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTION WE ARE LOOKING AT FOR THIS PROJECT.

Again, the roles for A.D.A.M. are very limited.


LOVE IS IN THE AIR
BY DR. MEL CAUDLE

Love, so exciting and new, come aboard, we're expecting you.  The Love Boat.......  Well, not exactly the Love Boat, but at least the KSK love connection is in full gear with exciting romances springing up and I would be remiss if I didn't include new friendships.  What an unexpected and marvelous outcome from six months of online auditions to have this in our KSK and A.D.A.M. family.  The only thing I have to say is the first born better be named after Robby and I.

How perfect!  Both of us have names that are perfect for either a son or a daughter.  If the first born is male, the name could be Mel Robby ____________,  If a girl, Melissa Robby ______________.  Well, maybe I am jumping the gun a bit, but as a grandmother who adores her three grandsons, I get excited.  So, I'll take a step back and let the love blossom and wait eagerly for my invitation to the wedding.

So who are our KSK love birds.

First up is Jerry Lopez and Jennifer Rosario who first met at the face-to-face call back auditions in New Orleans.   Little did I know when I paired them in the audition to read for Matthew and Dr. Elizabeth Wright, that they would become an item.  Talk about testing chemistry between actors....I got that right.  Just take a look at the picture of them.  They look so happy and I know we all are happy for them.

JERRY LOPEZ JR. AND JENNIFER ROSARIO



Then we have Johnny Rock and De'Cha Leveau.  They met at the first KSK New Orleans Social Party at CBeavers.  Then again at the After Wrap Call Back Audition Party. Now, here is the funny thing.  De'Cha didn't get to audition for KSK.  She was too late.  However, when I saw her I was already thinking about the film A.D.A.M. and I asked her that night to audition for A.D.A.M. as Agent Turner using the sides for Jones.  I never saw this match coming.   You think something was up or what by the picture below?  Remember that night?  Well, we all know they do.  Take a look at these love birds.

JOHNNY ROCK AND DE'CHA LEVEAU




Bonnie and Griff, do you two have something going on we don't know about?  This was from the first social KSK gathering in Los Angeles.  I'm not saying they are an item, but they do look happy.

BONNIE LEVINSON AND STEVEN GRIFFIN



Other friendships have also formed which include the "Three Musketeers" of KSK.  None of these girls knew each other prior to the auditions.  They include Vanessa Ross, Brooke Coleman, and Jamie Alyson.  Vanessa and Jamie first met in Los Angeles at the call backs.  Later, Brooke auditioned in New Orleans and somehow round up contacting Jamie.  The next thing I knew, Brooke was at Jamie's house after casting was announced. Then, the three of them all went out and now are BFFs just like the script calls for.  Wow!  I guess they won't have to bond on set.

VANESSA ROSS, BROOKE COLEMAN, AND JAMIE ALYSON

Neither will Trace Schroeder or Jason Tobias.  Like the girls above who play best friends, Jason and Trace do as well.  They already have started their friendship.

TRACE SCHROEDER AND JASON TOBIAS


Challa, she's taken.  You better not let Johnny see this.

CHALLA SABREE AND DE'CHA LEVEAU



DEAR DIARY - The Isaac Journey
BY ROBBY COOK STROUD

My journey as a FEMA inspector is still full of surprises.  Take a look at another page of my diary.



Dear Diary,

I can’t believe another week has gone by. Where does the time go?  I guess when your in the field there is truly no rest for the weary.  The look on their faces is what keeps me going.  Thank you God for allowing me to bring a moment of sunshine into their lives at their time of need.

I have met so many new people on this Isaac journey,  that I don’t even know where to start as each one's story is just as compelling as the one before them or the one that I will hear next.  But, sometimes, life is full of unexpected surprises.  Like this one.

I went to the Lady’s house and when I arrived her front yard was full of sewage from her septic tank. The flood had filled her pipes with mud and it was bubbling up in her yard. Of course you can imagine the awful odor as I gagged my way to the front door.  

I never made it to the front door at that moment as she greeted me outside.  

I told her, "Lets go inside before we both drop dead for the smell"  At first, she thought I was kidding, so I just smiled.  Then she realized that I really was having a difficult time with the odor.  I guess the gagging was a drop dead clue.  To her, she had already acclimated to the odor and it didn't bother her a bit..  

As I walked into her home, to my relief of my olfactory senses, there was the most wonderful aroma coming from her kitchen. It was like night and day from the odor we had just left.  It really made me wonder how in the world she couldn't tell the difference.  

I said something right away about how that was the most amazing smell I have ever encountered.  

I started on my inspection going from room to room still smelling this incredible smell.  When I got to the kitchen, I just had to ask her, ”What is that amazing smell?"   I really wanted to know because I have never smelled anything like that before.  Not even at my Grandmothers.  She said “ Is it bad?”  I guess after all of my gagging in the front yard her level of concern had risen.

I immediately responded,  "Oh no, It’s the most wonderful aroma I have ever smelled."  I could tell she was pleased with my answer as  she laughed and said to me shyly, "It’s one of my daughter’s favorite dishes, and she is coming over for dinner."

She opened the lid to a pot that was boiling on the stove and providing the pleasant aroma.  To my great surprise it is a pot full  of  CHICKEN FEET boiling away.  I'll never forget this site or smell as long as I live as they still had the little claws on them too.  

BOILING CHICKEN FEET - PHOTO BY ROBBY COOK STROUD



Needless to say I was speechless.  I probably would have tried one if they were finished cooking.  But, on reflection, I am glad they weren’t.  And, with that, It's another day on my Isaac Journey.  It's time to lay down and rest and get ready for whatever the Lord sees fit for me on my journey tomorrow.  


AMERICAN FILM MARKET® SETS TOPICS AND SCHEDULE FOR FIVE-DAY AFM CONFERENCE SERIES AT 2012 MARKET; NEW AFM WEBSITE ALSO UNVEILED
07/06/2012

Los Angeles, CA, July 6, 2012– The American Film Market (AFM®) set for Oct. 31-Nov. 7 in Santa Monica, today announced the topics and schedule for its five day AFM Conference Series . The, Conferences, covering a range of timely and valuable topics spanning from treatment to screen, will take place 9:15 am – 12:45 pm daily from Friday, Nov. 2 – Tuesday, Nov. 6, and will be comprised of a Finance Conference, Pitch Conference, Marketing Conference, Video-on-Demand Conference and Micro-Budget Conference.

The program provides AFM attendees, who hail from more than 70 countries, invaluable knowledge, insight, access and a rare opportunity to hear from the industry’s global thought leaders, decision makers and experts all in one place. The AFM Conference Series launched in 2011 and sold out in its first year with more than 700 attendees at each event
.
In addition, the AFM has just unveiled its newly redesigned website (www.americanfilmmarket.com) which coincides with the opening of registration for the Fall market. The new website has an improved user interface and navigation, and has a new visual design, making it easier for AFM attendees to find the information they need. In addition, the site boasts better content capabilities and allows more seamless ways to connect with AFM’s popular social media channels including Facebook, Twitterand LinkedIn.

"AFM is attended by industry leaders from more than 70 countries so the AFM Conference Series has a tremendous pool of experts and innovators to draw from." said Jonathan Wolf, executive vice president of the Independent Film & Television Alliance and managing director of the AFM. "This makes the AFM Conference Series unique and invaluable. We are looking forward to building on the 2011 inaugural, sold-out event by exploring topics that are most relevant to global filmmakers."

The 2012 AFM Conference Series will consist of:
Finance Conference, Friday, November 2
Leading CEOs, filmmakers, financiers and studio executives converge to explore the state of independent film financing, emerging trends, where the money is, new opportunities and incentives, and what the future holds.

Pitch Conference, Saturday, November 3
A good pitch can get a bad film made and a bad pitch can leave a terrific project languishing on the shelf. Pitching is part art (it’s creative), part science (needs to follow a tight script) and part salesmanship. Conference attendees will first learn the essential rules and tools of pitching from the experts. Then, volunteers from the audience (you?) will pitch a panel of Hollywood decision makers. They will give unvarnished feedback on each pitch – saying what worked, what didn’t, and why. Warning: This session is not for the weak.

Marketing Conference, Sunday, November 4
Connecting with and engaging the audience in authentic, creative ways is critical. Word-of-mouth and friend recommendations can make or break the box office results. The gurus behind the most successful and innovative new media marketing campaigns discuss reinventing the marketing wheel, explore how the consumer can be the most effective marketing tool and reveal how to win over the broadest possible audience.

Video-On-Demand Conference, Monday, November 5
Video-On-Demand is a growing revenue stream for filmmakers and content providers. Like the excitement of a gold rush, many hope for a future when all films are available worldwide and every film finds an audience. Producers, distributors and platforms will come together to disclose who is making money, how they are doing it and what the future holds – separating fact from fiction.

Micro-Budget Conference, Tuesday, November 6
New and unconventional financing, marketing and distribution resources are proving very successful for Micro-Budget films. Producers and distributors will reveal how to find the money, making the most of budgets, what distributors are looking for, reaching your audience and how these new tools are redefining the film business.

The 2012 AFM Conference Series will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel (101 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica). For additional information, visit www.AmericanFilmMarket.com/conferences.

About the AFM
The business of independent motion picture production and distribution – a truly collaborative process – reaches its peak every year at the AFM, when more than 8,000 industry leaders converge in Santa Monica for eight days of deal-making, screenings, conferences, premieres, networking and parties. Participants come from more than 70 countries and include acquisition and development executives, agents, attorneys, directors, distributors, festival directors, financiers, film commissioners, producers, writers, the world's press and all those who provide services to the motion picture industry.
Founded in 1981, the AFM quickly became the premier global marketplace where Hollywood's decision-makers and trendsetters all gather under one roof. Unlike a film festival, the AFM is a marketplace where production and distribution deals are closed. In just eight days, more than $800 million in deals will be sealed - on both completed films and those in every stage of development and production - making the AFM the must-attend industry event.

The AFM is produced by the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA), the trade association representing the world's producers and distributors of independent motion pictures and television programs. More information is online at
www.IFTA-online.org.





1 comment:

  1. Again a great blog Melissa! And congrats again to Jennifer and Jerry!

    ReplyDelete